Friday, December 4, 2009

Small Things That Make a Day

What’s happening here today? We had snow this morning – briefly. I haven’t been out yet to test the air today, but yesterday when I walked over to the next building to mail some letters and pick up mail from the day before, and to take the blue-bag recyclables to the dumpster, that wind was very cold. Not sure what the temperature was, but it’s the wind that gets to me when I go out in cold weather. It’s supposed to be 30ish today. Tomorrow may be up around 40.

I hope to go out and pick up some needed items tomorrow and return my library books if it isn’t too cold. If it is, I’ll push it off for another day. But first, I have to have a tire aired up, since it decided to start going down now.

One of the neighbors on my block brought me a Christmas card yesterday. She had enclosed a small handmade wreath, which is the cutest thing. It has several little circles, made from white fabric with red and green lines and holly berries on it. The small circles are the kind made when you take a larger circle, hem it, then make a running stitch near the edge, leaving several inches of dangling thread. You pull the thread until the edges of the fabric come nearly together. When you set it down and lay it flat, it makes a small, puffy circle. If you decide to make this, check to see if it is the way you want it before fastening the thread down and clipping off the remainder. It had little ‘gem studs’ here and there for added sparkle. Sequins would probably work too, depending on the fabric designs. Seven of these little circles were attached to each other to make a bigger circle [about 3 or 4 inches], with a ribbon at the top for hanging. It’s very attractive. Cheerful!

I had a pleasant, surprise early call this morning from a Presley second cousin once removed. Her father was my second cousin. She is the great-grandaughter of Lucretia Ellen Presley Earls, sister of our grandfather, Ansel Hampton Presley.

That's a peek at what's happening here. Merry Christmas to all.

No comments:

Post a Comment

"Be ca'am, be as ca'am as you can. And, if you can't be ca'am, be as ca'am as you can." Reputedly, advice from an old New Englander on staying cool, calm and collected.