Monday, November 30, 2009

Thanksgiving and After

My plans for Thanksgiving included dinner with Russ, Jan and family; however as sometimes happens to the best laid plans, mine went astray. I didn’t feel well, I think due to reaction to the new medication, that I hope might help with the after shingles pain. I didn’t feel like going anywhere, so I thought it best to stay home. Russ and the two youngest grandkids, Matthew and Kelsey, brought me a delicious dinner; which is not surprising since Jan is a very good cook. Fortunately, this round of not feeling up to snuff didn’t affect my taste buds and I enjoyed it all.

During the first months after getting the shingles, perhaps due to some of the medication, everything I ate tasted like so much nothing. I didn’t care if I ate or not, but knew I had to, so I forced myself to eat, though probably not as well as I should have.

I am gradually feeling better, but my head still doesn’t feel as it should. It’s rocking a bit as I write this; so, more R & R when I finish this piece. This R & R translates to reading and resting.

Needless to say, I spent a relatively lazy weekend, mostly doing just the essentials: one of those essentials being food intake. I had some broth left after putting the dressing together [before I began feeling so punk]. The broth would make good soup I thought. Then the idea of dumplings entered my mind, but it would have to be the quick and easy kind. So, I chopped a few carrots and a short stick of celery in my little food processor, along with a bit of onion and set it to boil. Next, I got out some baking mix and mixed about a half cup of that with a little olive oil, water, and a small amount of protein powder into a thick dough.

I wanted small dumplings, so I rolled the dough into about marble sized pieces, and dropped them into the boiling water. The broth absorbed enough of the dough to slightly thicken the soup. All of that, including the cooking, took little time, energy and effort. I think it was one of the best soups I’ve ever made.

Now back to resting again.

No comments:

Post a Comment

"Be ca'am, be as ca'am as you can. And, if you can't be ca'am, be as ca'am as you can." Reputedly, advice from an old New Englander on staying cool, calm and collected.