Saturday, January 1, 2011

Happy New Year – 2011

2010 went out with a bang in this area with its tornadic activity on the last day of the year. Fortunately, it was loss of property and not loss of lives here, but the last day of 2010 was definitely a bad-weather day.

I had a nice Christmas with my son and his family. My daughter and her husband came over on Sunday for a late Christmas, which was also nice. We all got together with my son and his family on Monday for a Christmas-continued-celebration. We came back to my place late afternoon, and only two of us went back to watch the football game that evening. By late day my energy level is pretty well spent, so a quiet evening at home worked for me.

New Year’s Day: For the most part spent doing ordinary things. I make it a point to call and talk to each of my children on New Year’s Day, but didn’t catch up with one of them when I called today.

I grew up in a household where superstitions abounded. I don’t know how seriously the family took these superstitions, but one of them was that whatever you did on New Year’s Day would set the pattern for the entire year.

We had to do the necessary chores of cooking, doing dishes, straightening up the house. In between came playing games, listening to favorite radio programs [no television just yet], telling stories: whatever we could think of that we thought was fun. We tried to pack as much fun stuff into the day as we possibly could.

For the most part as an adult, I still try to balance the day between the necessary and “just what I wanna do.” Today, I think I’ve leaned a little towards chores over “wanna do.”

I wish you a blessed New Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment

"Be ca'am, be as ca'am as you can. And, if you can't be ca'am, be as ca'am as you can." Reputedly, advice from an old New Englander on staying cool, calm and collected.