Monday, March 29, 2010

A Story of the Heart

The Swan House by Elizabeth Musser

Paper Back 442 pages – For those with good sight that's okay. My eyes would like a little larger font. I need lots of light to read paper backs. For me, some are almost impossible.

I’ve just finished reading this book and I’m not sure how to tell you about it. So, I’ll just list some of the things you will encounter. Atlanta, Georgia – time period early 1960s: a devastating plane crash; the privileged and unprivileged; wealth and poverty; prejudice and understanding;reaching out in hatefulness and in helpfullness; Christianity, an involved, personal relationship vs going through the motions; artistic talent, depression, yearning and learning youth. It is a beautiful story, haunting in its sadness and uplifting in its hope.

1 comment:

  1. Reading this blog makes me want to read this book. That's a fairly typical response to a book review. Most people who write a review intend to influence their readers with their opinion of the book, either positively or negatively. What is interesting about this review is that it basically gives no opinions. It simply states in a very succinct way what a reader will find in the book. I think it is amazing how you have managed to create a compelling review without stating your opinions. You have a wonderful way of approaching writing and reading!

    ReplyDelete

"Be ca'am, be as ca'am as you can. And, if you can't be ca'am, be as ca'am as you can." Reputedly, advice from an old New Englander on staying cool, calm and collected.