Monday, March 22, 2010

Television Golf Fan

I am not a big sports fan, but I do enjoy watching golf on television. I have several favorite players. They don’t always win, but they play well and rank rather high in the standings fairly frequently. Except for those occasions when nothing works and they just can’t make the vital cut, or keep dropping down the list as the play continues. Sometimes they end up in the top spot as Ernie Els did last weekend. It was good to see him with the win.

This past weekend in the Transitions tournament, Steve Stricker, high on my favorites list started out pretty well, but slipped a bit as the tournament continued. I don’t feel too badly about that because he has had his share of wins in recent months and neeless to say added considerably to his financial status.

As Stricker slipped, who went up the leader board? Another favorite, Jim Furyk, made his way to the top of the list on Saturday, and managed to hold on to the lead. Although he did make me a bit nervous the last few holes, when he gained and dropped a point a couple of times. I think they said he had had something like 52 starts without a win, but he has ended up with some good spots on the standings a number of times. I thoroughly enjoyed seeing him make the top spot.

I heard an interesting sidelight about another golfer: I didn’t catch his name, but he thought he hadn’t made the cut after Friday’s play. He grabbed his clubs and headed to the airport and home. While waiting for departure, he received a phone call telling him he had made the cut after all and was expected to play on Saturday. He had no problem leaving himself, but wouldn’t have been able to get his clubs from the plane. Rather than play with a make-do set, he chose to fly on home, retrieve his golf clubs and take a charter flight back to the tournament. By then there was only minimal time for sleep, and with only an hour or so of sleep, he went out and played a round of 67. Sorry I still can’t tell you his name, so I don’t know how he made out in the final standings.

There are other golfers I like to watch play as well, but these are some of the ones I’ve seen most recently.

2 comments:

  1. Yes, this blog does make you a sports writer. And stories like the one you just shared are what makes me interested in reading sports stories.

    ReplyDelete

"Be ca'am, be as ca'am as you can. And, if you can't be ca'am, be as ca'am as you can." Reputedly, advice from an old New Englander on staying cool, calm and collected.