Monday, July 27, 2009

My Mother's Kitchen


This morning I saw part of a segment on TODAY about favorite family recipes. That brought to mind my favorite remembered aroma, coming from my mother's kitchen: Apple Custard Pie. I've never known anyone else who made it, and I believe one of my children said they didn't like custard, when I mentioned this pie. But, oh those delicious apple/cinnamon aromas wafting through the house! I thought it was delicious. I could hardly wait until dinner time, once I knew it was in the making. Perhaps you would get the same pleasing aromas from 'regular' apple pie, and I made a lot of those; but when mother made apple pie, it was always apple custard. She was a very good cook, and it was said that, "Mary made the flakiest pie crusts around." People also raved about her chicken and dumplings, but during that period of my life, I didn't like that particular dish.
I don't have a picture of my mother that goes with this period, but this is a snapshot of her at age 93, just a few weeks before she became ill and passed away 3-1/2 months before her 94th birthday.

1 comment:

  1. Isn't it interesting how important a mother's kitchen is? I remember your kitchen, too. I especially remember your kitchen when it was a holiday or a family gathering. You always made the best desserts; especially banana pudding, coconut cream pie and lemon pie. But I also remember your chili! I remember it as a Friday night staple in the fall and winter. And, while I didn't duplicate the Friday night tradition, I have duplicated the wonderful chili you always made. Both of my kids like chili, even though they manage to eat around the beans. That chili recipe is so good I managed to win the chili cook off at work twice!BJC

    ReplyDelete

"Be ca'am, be as ca'am as you can. And, if you can't be ca'am, be as ca'am as you can." Reputedly, advice from an old New Englander on staying cool, calm and collected.