Friday, July 31, 2009

Seeding

When I was a young child, my parents were not Christians. They did not become so, until my mother was in her late 30s and my dad was about 40. Both were brought up in Christian homes, and adhered pretty much to the moral standards they had been taught. They attended church irregularly, but they let us attend whatever church we chose. When I was about five years old I began going to the Baptist Church, and my older sister attended the Assembly of God Church for a time. Perhaps that’s where our friends were; from this distance I’m not sure.

At the church I attended, they had a class for young children, called “The Sunbeam Band.” The first scripture verse I learned there was John 3:16, “For God so loved the world…” Next I learned the 23rd Psalm, “The Lord is my Shepherd, I shall not want…” And I learned a song that we sang frequently. “Jesus loves the little children, All the children of the world, Red and yellow, black and white, They are precious in his sight, Jesus loves the little children of the world.”

I did not become a Christian then, at that young age; but I thought, with wonder, “He loves me!”

1 comment:

  1. Isn't it amazing what you can learn about your own mother from reading her blog. I didn't know that grandma and grandpa didn't become Christians until mid-life. I also didn't know that you went to different churches as your own choice. Some how that just didn't fit my picture of your parents.

    ReplyDelete

"Be ca'am, be as ca'am as you can. And, if you can't be ca'am, be as ca'am as you can." Reputedly, advice from an old New Englander on staying cool, calm and collected.