Thursday, July 30, 2009

Poems

I mentioned the poem, "The House by the Side of the Road," by Sam Walter Foss, in my blog about my Dad. When I did the search, I first did so by a line from the poem, and I found several sites. After I found that, and searched by the title, I got several more sites. If you searched by the poet's name, perhaps you would find some of the same, and possibly more. There are a number of sites about him and his poems. There is one site that lists many of his poems, which I haven't taken the time to check out yet, but I will. [Drat that curiosity factor.]

Perhaps my liking for poetry comes from the memorization we had to do, I don't know. Another favorite poem, maybe the most favorite of all is: "Abou Ben Adhem" by James Leigh Hunt. I'm bad about remembering the names of authors that go with what work, so I had to look up the poet on this one.

I also like Walt Whitman's poems, my favorite there being: "Oh Captain! My Captain!" When I learned that as a child, I had no idea who it was really about. I didn't learn that until much later. And who can forget "The Raven," by Poe, if you've read it. Also remember "Annabelle Lee," but so sad. I didn't have to check the writers of these last ones, but others of their poems, I probably would.

No comments:

Post a Comment

"Be ca'am, be as ca'am as you can. And, if you can't be ca'am, be as ca'am as you can." Reputedly, advice from an old New Englander on staying cool, calm and collected.