Sunday, September 6, 2009

Apple Pie - Old Newspaper Clipping

Recently, I came across an old recipe that I had clipped from a newspaper, probably about 30 years ago, possibly even a bit more. I had never tried it; as I haven’t done with many of the recipes I clipped. [Hey, I like to read recipes in newspapers, magazines, and in cook books.] Most of the old clippings I still had, had gone the way of the blue recycle bag; but somehow this one, found a place to stay and hadn’t been thrown out. I’ve never had too good luck with recipes that I’ve clipped from newspapers. I’m not sure why. Occasionally, though, the recipe lived up to my expectations, or perhaps I should say, my hopes.

This clipping was for an apple pie recipe: no top crust; water added; quite different from the apple pie I used to make. Still - apples, sugar, and cinnamon are a powerful combination. I made plenty of apple pies when my family was around: for holiday meals, Sunday dinner, and the occasional ‘just because I wanted to’ dinner.

My husband and children all seemed to enjoy the apple pies I made, and so did I. I don’t believe anyone else who ate them found fault with them either. But, once upon a time my mother ate with us, or I took it to a bring-a-dish meal. She said my apple pie tasted good, but she liked juicier apple pies. The difference in the pies I made was that I combined a bit of flour with the sugar, dusted it over each layer of apples [usually 3 layers], then lightly sprinkled the layers with cinnamon. The pies were not dry, but juice didn’t run all over when you cut the pie. Mother said she didn’t add any flour to her apple pies.

We all have our own tastes and preferences in eating, and she was a very good cook, so I’m sure my mother’s apple pies tasted good too. [As I said in another blog, the only apple pie I recall her making were those delicious Apple Custard pies.] Even so, if I want a juicier apple pie, I’ll put it in a square or oblong baking pan, and call it, “Cobbler.”

Today seemed a good time to try that clipped recipe. I cut down on the sugar, because I decided a long time ago, that most foods just didn’t need the amount of sugar called for in many recipes. I also cut the amount of water added, and I’m glad I did. [If I hadn’t, I’m afraid that juicy pie/cobbler would have run all over the oven.] The pie tasted very good, but I want to make it again, and then I’ll post the recipe for you. There is one more difference too, but you will have to wait for that, until I do the recipe here.

5 comments:

  1. OK That was just not fair. By the time I finished reading this blog all I wanted was an apple pie. Then you tell me there is another change you'll make in the recipe, but you're going to keep me in suspense about that until you make it again? That is just not nice at all. Of course, you can probably make it all up to me if you make an apple pie the next time I come to visit!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Duly chastened. I'll have to try to be more fair.
    If the second try at this new/old recipe is as good as the first one, I'll make an apple pie from this recipe, instead of my old standard, for your next visit. However, I'll have to wait to post the recipe until after your visit, because I want to surprise you. Did I just fail the fair test again?

    ReplyDelete
  3. No, I think I'd have to say you passed the fairness test by responding reasonably where you could, but remaining firm on your stated purpose. Boy, do I wish a lot more people would use that approach on many current issues...but I won't go there with that. Just so you know, they served apple pie at the meeting I attended last night. It was great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad. I guess I set you up for that without realizing it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. All your pies and cobblers were good. I always loved cherry pies, but what I miss most is lemon meringue. I would love to taste one of those again. Franklin Jr. used to make the lemon pies for me at Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete

"Be ca'am, be as ca'am as you can. And, if you can't be ca'am, be as ca'am as you can." Reputedly, advice from an old New Englander on staying cool, calm and collected.