Friday, September 4, 2009

Summer Fun - 1938


Dad decided he would take us on what was then sometimes called an “outing.” The destination: Meramec Springs Park, near St James, not far from where our grandparents lived. He invited the neighborhood kids to go along.

I'm not sure if Mother, with probably Blanche's [my older sister's] help, cooked the food, or if we just took along sandwiches, perhaps cookies and something to drink for our picnic lunch. Whatever it was, we probably ate it with gusto.
We rode in the back of a flat bed truck, belonging to the older brother of my sister’s husband. I think that would not be permitted now; but the traffic and the speed on the gravel road would not have been the same as present day traffic. We all seemed to have a fun day. Since we passed the park on the way to and from Grandpa Stricker’s farm, we had stopped there before, but it may have been a first time visit to the park for some of the group

Being a shortie, I usually get pushed to the front of any group picture, and the other three in front were about my age; so the older, also taller girls took the back row. I am the one in the slacks [as they were then called] in the front row. Pants were not yet in general acceptance in our area for female wear. Mother thought they were much more practical for outdoor activities, than the inevitable dresses usually worn. However, it was back to dresses for all other occasions.

My sister’s head is visible, just behind me on the right. [You can see her pant leg between me and Ruth's skirt. Blanche's slacks were blue with a white stripe; mine were brown with a yellow stripe. Ah, the peculiarities of memory.] The girl next to me on the left was Junella Glore, called Johnnie; a nickname I was unintentionally responsible for giving her, a couple of years later. She was a best friend for a number of my growing up years. On the right was Ruth Mosier, another good friend, and next to her was Avella Mason; a friend, who became my sister-in-law some years later. In back on the left was Nadine French, and on the right Lucille Helms, friends of my sister.

I don’t recall a lot of the details of that day, but we explored the park; had our picnic lunch, generally enjoyed ourselves, and came home tired and happy. Thanks to one of Dad’s ideas of a good time for our family and our friends.

4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember this picture. Thank you for sharing the details of the event that was connected to it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Deleted Comments - Explanation: Earlier I wrote a post about comments and said all are welcome, and they are, except I would delete any comments with profanity or crudities, but those I really didn't expect. The above deleted comments do NOT fall in that category. They were "test comments" to see,and then explain, what a person needed to do to comment as Anonymous if they didn't want to register as a Google or other user. If you do comment as Anonymous, and I know you, you could add a name I would know you by at the end of your comment.

    ReplyDelete

"Be ca'am, be as ca'am as you can. And, if you can't be ca'am, be as ca'am as you can." Reputedly, advice from an old New Englander on staying cool, calm and collected.