Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Personal Safety Tips

An officer from the local Sheriff’s Department spoke to the residents where I live and suggested some precautions we might take towards personal safety and credit or bank theft. As elder citizens, most of us are no physical match for the usually, younger, stronger purse snatcher, or home invader.

One of the things that struck me was his warning to women who put their purse straps under their arm and loop the strap around their neck on the opposite side; or simply around the neck. I don’t do this because I rarely carry a purse with a strap that long, but some do.

He said that if anyone jerked or pulled on that strap, in all likelihood you would fall to the ground. I believe his words were, “You will go down.” We all know that a fall will lead to scrapes, bumps and bruises; but more dangerous, are broken bones or head injuries, which could occur. There is also the possibility of neck injuries, which can have even more serious results, sometimes even life-threatening.

The officer’s point was that “nothing you have in your purse is worth your life.” He suggested carrying no more credit, debit or identity cards in your purse, or on your person than you need. That way if your purse is stolen the thief doesn’t reap much benefit. So, let the purse go, save yourself and perhaps your life. He suggested having a low-limit credit card to use when ordering online. That way if the info should fall into the wrong hands, they won’t get away with too much before the theft is discovered.

Be alert when you're out and about in a mall or store parking lots; going to or from your car and getting in and out of the car.

We were reminded to shred those unwanted credit card offers we receive, and the checks we get, but don't plan to use, on credit cards we already have. Don't throw them in the trash. Shred, shred, shred! I make it a habit to shred all mail or other papers that have my name and address, or other personal information on them.

Another reminder that we may have heard, but also may tend to forget at the time the phone rings and someone asks for it, is don't give any personal information to anyone over the phone. He also mentioned a recently favored scam, where someone calls in the guise of a relative and asks you to send money to an unknown address. Don't just send it; check with relatives!

He also warned that should you become victim to a home invasion, don’t be confrontational and put yourself into more danger than you already are, but cooperate. Let them take what they will, however much you may regret the loss, because again, “Nothing you own is worth your life.”

I have tried to summarize what I took away from the meeting, with the red highlighted “quotes” from Sgt. Bill. Those I believe are verbatim, though I did not take notes, so if different by a small degree, I apologize.

2 comments:

  1. Even though I have heard most of those tips before it is always good to be reminded of them. I never put a strap over my neck; I usually carry my purse over my right shoulder with my hand resting on the bag. That would deter a pick pocket if I'm in a crowd and would allow the bag to be pulled away from me but without any personal injury. I also heard recently that you should keep a can of wasp/bee spray in your car or purse (if the can was small enough.) This spray is safer than Mace because wasp spray itself has a much longer reach than Mace. Your assailant has to be within arms reach for Mace to be effective but wasp spray will extend several feet and is just as effective.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I've heard most of these before too, but I'm not sure anyone had emphasized the possible injuries due to the strap over the neck. And as you said I felt a reminder would be good, since people continue to fall prey to these things. I did read about the wasp spray in the car, and one of the things I've wondered about is if there would be a problem with leaving this kind of can in a closed car during the hot weather we sometimes have. I have not yet checked on this.

    ReplyDelete

"Be ca'am, be as ca'am as you can. And, if you can't be ca'am, be as ca'am as you can." Reputedly, advice from an old New Englander on staying cool, calm and collected.