Thursday, September 10, 2009

Fat Cells: The Unwanted

Like many other people, I have my share of unwanted fat cells. At one time I was glad to add some of those fat cells, because for the most part of the first 30 some years of my life, I was a Skinny Minnie. I walked around every winter feeling like I was freezing to death. When I finally added a few pounds, it wasn’t quite so bad.

Now, I would like to shed some of those fat cells, if possible. Up to now, it hasn’t seemed to work out that way. Many people think of me as being a small person, and I am as far as stature is concerned. But those fat cells have settled in; some on my mid-section [With maybe a loss of muscle tone. Maybe? Ha!], but more on my hips and thighs.

It seems these cells are like squatters; they settle where we don’t want them, and like it or not, they’re here to stay. I’ve read and heard that once you get fat cells, they stick to you like glue. Can't get rid of them. But – maybe there is hope.

I believe the most important thing is health rather than vanity; but if vanity is the motivator, which leads to good health, that's okay too. One of the helpful things I’ve found in looking for information on the subject is that flax seed oil can be helpful in preventing the turning of blood to sludge in the arteries. When I was first told that I had some plaque in my carotid arteries, I was a bit surprised. My diet was varied, and for the most part, I thought I made healthy choices.

The doctor told me that even though the plaque in my arteries was not extreme, there was a danger that it could stick to the blood and form clots [may not be exactly as he said it, but you get the idea]. These clots could cause really big problems. If you can’t add flax seed in other forms to your diet, a pill or two a day might be just the thing to keep that blood soft and flowing. And prevent a serious health incident before you realize there is a problem. But, please, if you are already on blood thinners for an existing condition, or have other health problems, consult your doctor about what you should do.

Something else I’ve found out about recently that may help with existing fat cells and discourage new ones is white tea. I’ve read a lot of information on it, and I’m giving it a try. It seems promising.

I found the following in an article online giving the possible benefits of white tea: “White Tea Secret Out of the Bag” by Amara Sohn

The “Study says tea may help you shed pounds and prevent cancer. Not only does it increase your metabolism and prevent new fat cells from forming, it may also help prevent cancer, improve your skin and fight other signs of aging, according to the study.”

The article was based on a new study published by the Journal of Nutrition and Metabolism. The article can be found online.

I found a number of articles on the subject, using my search engine, if you want more information.

2 comments:

  1. Speaking of unwanted fat; I've lost about 6 1/2 lbs since the first of August. Only have 5 1/2 to go.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations! Do you have a special tip? Email me.

    ReplyDelete

"Be ca'am, be as ca'am as you can. And, if you can't be ca'am, be as ca'am as you can." Reputedly, advice from an old New Englander on staying cool, calm and collected.