Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Benefits of Sleep

Want to Control Your Weight? What to do First?
Would you believe? See that you regularly get a good night's sleep!

Except for the occasional sleepless night, and the difficulties in sleeping caused by what I call "The Dratted Shingles," I usually sleep seven hours or so. I have some pounds in some places I'd like to shed, which I will get to another time.

We've long been told that a good night's sleep is essential to good health. Our bodies, minds and emotions need the rest 'from our labors' that provides the restoration we need to meet the next days challenges. I've recently heard an emphasis on the relationship of sleep to weight gain or loss. So, I set out to see what I could find. It is said that a continuous lack of sleep can throw the metabolism out of kilter, which can lead to difficulties in maintaining healthful weight, as well as other problems, and can lead to very serious consequences. Some of what I found is below. I am surprised that this is not a new study. It is dated 1999, but it seems someone has awakened and begun to emphasize the relationship of sleep and weight.

The following is one of the headings:
Lack Of Sleep Alters Hormones, Metabolism, Simulates Effects Of Aging

If you want further information, more of this article can be found at:

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/1999/10/99/99102507/5844.htm

The above URL is where I found the article I mentioned. I clicked on it to see if the URL took me there. I got the sciencedaily page, but it said the page I wanted was currently unavailable, even though I was able to go back to the page again. If you are interested in this specific article, and can't find it, I found it by typing in "metbolism, weight loss or gain."

Good luck, and good health!

1 comment:

  1. Sleep deprivation can really play havoc with a lot of our bodies systems. The first time I flew back from India, I was only able to sleep for about 2 hours of the 36 hour trip. I found that when I got back, I just "thought" I felt great. I had a lot of energy and I wanted to eat and to talk. Both of which I did with great zest...until I finally crashed about 18 hours later. I had never gone that long without sleep and didn't know that what I was experiencing was actually hyperactivity. My body just couldn't shut itself down.

    ReplyDelete

"Be ca'am, be as ca'am as you can. And, if you can't be ca'am, be as ca'am as you can." Reputedly, advice from an old New Englander on staying cool, calm and collected.