Monday, August 24, 2009

Killing a Pizza

I killed a pizza today. One of the day’s lowlights, but not too low on the scale of things that matter. Actually, I didn’t kill an entire pizza, just one piece of it. I micro waved it to death. As I have said, I live alone. When I decide I want a pizza, after eating what I want; there is still a lot of it left.

I wrap the individual pizza slices in foil, put them all in a plastic baggie, and store the baggie in the freezer. I take them out one at a time as I want them. Today, I put one of the slices in the microwave, while I did small chores in the kitchen. The pizza wasn’t hot enough after the first warm up, so I gave it a second go, with a bit less time. One end was still cold, so I gave it another 25 seconds, on about 40 percent power—or so I thought.

I realized the microwave was still humming away, when it should have stopped. I turned to look at it and there was way too much time left! I hit the clear button, and opened the microwave door. Apparently when I hit the power button, I missed it, and hit a number instead. The pizza was hard as a rock, and shrunken to about half the size it had been.

There were several slices left, so I repeated the process with another slice of pizza. This time I paid more attention, instead of just glancing at the timer while doing something else. No more hard rock pizza. I was able to eat it this time, not feed it to the garbage disposal.

2 comments:

  1. I love your choice of words! I had never thought about over cooking something in the microwave as "killing it" before but it is certainly an appropriate description. Unfortunately, I am not usually as lucky as you were to have a backup piece available. I'm glad you did.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you had seen that piece of pizza, it would have been even more understandable.

    ReplyDelete

"Be ca'am, be as ca'am as you can. And, if you can't be ca'am, be as ca'am as you can." Reputedly, advice from an old New Englander on staying cool, calm and collected.