Saturday, August 29, 2009

Running Away - Running To: A Five Year Old's Adventure

If a child runs away from home, it is usually a serious matter; and even dangerous, in some instances. When I was four and a half to five years old, I ran away from home. However, I wasn’t trying to leave home so much; I was just trying to go to a place where I so wanted to be. I ran away to school.

I started school in the fall after my fifth birthday. I suppose I had pestered the family about why my two older brothers and my older sister could go to school and I couldn’t. I’m sure I was told that my turn would come as soon as I was old enough. So-- what does that mean when you’re four or five years old? I suspect my young mind said, “Not fair, not fair!” Another six months, another year, that was forever!

We lived then, in a very small town; I suspect just a few hundred people. The school probably wasn’t more than a couple of blocks away; perhaps a little more, but it couldn’t have been much more than that. At that time more people didn’t have cars than did, so traffic wasn’t a problem, thank goodness. I doubt that I had been taught crossing-the-street-rules.

One day, Bob, my next younger brother, and I were playing in the back yard, while our mother worked in the house and looked after Pres, our baby brother. He would have been about a year old at the time. While we played at whatever games children played then, apparently this approximately five year old little girl, decided that it would be a fine day to go to school. We calmly walked out of the yard when mother, busy in another part of the house, wasn’t looking.

I took Bob by the hand and we walked down to the school and into the classroom, astounding the teacher and the class. Bob was about two years younger than I was. I don’t know what he thought, and I don't remember what I thought either. I didn’t know what to do next, but I think the teacher took care of that by asking us what we were doing there. I simply told her that I wanted to go to school. I was in charge of my little brother, so it seemed a natural thing to take him with me.

Our school day was short lived. The teacher sent one of our older siblings to tell mother where we were. We were fetched immediately; I’m sure my mother was embarrassed. It seems strange, but I don’t remember what my punishment was, for committing such an unwise act and causing a commotion! Justice was usually sure and swift where mother was concerned, so I strongly suspect that I was not only soundly scolded, but spanked as well. I can understand that, since we probably gave her the “parent scare,” and took her away from whatever tasks she was trying to accomplish. Bob was totally not to blame, so I hope he was spared any punishment.

I never regretted having committed such an audacious act for a five year old. That, to me, was my big adventure, and it was worth it. I thought that school building and the classroom were the greatest things I’d ever seen.

2 comments:

  1. I think I recall hearing about this big adventure but I didn't recall the details. The only thing I can say is that It certainly helps me understand a little girl named "Barbie" who once walked to a grocery store all by herself when she was about 2! I don't think her mother thought it was such a grand adventure either.
    Barbara--a true "chip off the old block."

    ReplyDelete
  2. I well recall your adventure, and the parent scare. Two was a bit younger than five, and much more traffic to fear. You quietly walked out when I was in another room, tending the baby. When I walked back into the room and found you missing, panic hit. Knowing how you always wanted to go 'side, I knew you had taken yourself for a walk. I just hoped I could find you in a hurry. We got lucky. I made sure that outside door was ALWAYS locked after that.

    ReplyDelete

"Be ca'am, be as ca'am as you can. And, if you can't be ca'am, be as ca'am as you can." Reputedly, advice from an old New Englander on staying cool, calm and collected.