Friday, August 21, 2009

Shingles: Update

When I saw the doctor recently, she smiled and said she had no magic pill for me. Ah, if only! She told me that this enduring pain from shingles could last for years. Naturally, that is not what I wanted to hear, though I already knew it was possible. I accept it as a fact, but I do not live with that expectancy. I live with the expectancy that each day may be the last day of pain, and that tomorrow might be the day that I wake up, with no more shingles pain.

I have plans for the first day of no shingles pain, and when it happens, I would like to shout it from the rooftops. If ever I was going to dance on a table top, that would be the day. Since I can’t dance on the floor, the table tops are safe. I’ve told some of my neighbors, here in the senior community where I live, that I will put an announcement on the bulletin board to let them know that what I refer to as the dratted shingles is finished with me. They won’t need to ask how I am anymore, except as a polite greeting.

I have another plan that involves singing. Anyone who knows me, knows that I cannot sing anymore, if ever I could. Sometimes it is a struggle to talk, and some days, I do more squeaking than speaking. Inflammations brought on by second hand smoke, and other pollutants, have done well their damage to my vocal chords.

I’m having fun with this blog which I recently started. Along with other things, it helps keep my mind occupied, so I can sublimate the shingles pain - somewhat. To all who suffer so much more than I do, you have my prayerful thoughts; I wish you surcease from your discomfort. May spiritual sunshine imbue your entire being.

1 comment:

  1. Coincidence - Just below this post are three advertisements entitled: Vocal Tips, Exercises; Singing Lessons, and Vocal Competition.

    ReplyDelete

"Be ca'am, be as ca'am as you can. And, if you can't be ca'am, be as ca'am as you can." Reputedly, advice from an old New Englander on staying cool, calm and collected.