Saturday, August 22, 2009

Trekking Again

Yesterday’s trek didn’t include as many stops as the earlier one I wrote about. This time only three places to go. My computer keyboard wasn’t working properly, so I had switched to one that was from an older computer. The older one, though it had seemed like a soft touch when I used it before, had a much harder touch than this newer one, which didn’t actually last very long. The older keyboard made my fingers sore, so I decided I had better buy a new one.

First stop - The computer store. I found a ‘wireless’ keyboard for about $40. There are no wires leading from it, or to it; but there is a wire from the device that plugs into the USB connection on the computer box. I also bought some DVD disks to back up my computer and for file storage. I wanted to take some pictures off my old computer, store them on the DVD, to use with the newer computer. So far, the old computer doesn’t recognize the DVD, though that drive is supposed to be for both DVD and CD. I haven’t installed the new keyboard yet, because I wanted to get those pictures first. So much, for well laid plans.

Second stop - lunch. I had intended to stop for tacos while I was out, but as I went by in the mall, I passed another restaurant. I hadn’t been there, or hardly anywhere else this past year, so decided I would eat there instead. The lunch was very good, even better than I remembered. The service was slooow. The waitress asked me if she could get me something to drink. I said, yes, but I could go ahead and give her my lunch order too, since I knew what I wanted. I had certainly had plenty of time to study the menu.

The waitress took the order and I waited for my coffee. She was in and out among the tables she served, but never brought the coffee. I saw other customers come in, get their drinks, and have their food orders taken. Some were helped a bit by someone, apparently from the hostess crew. Perhaps the server had too many tables to cover; however, others were being served, while I waited and waited. Finally, she walked near my table on her way to the pickup area, and looked my way. I asked her if I could have my coffee, please. She said, “Sure.” I waited another several minutes, and then finally, she brought the coffee, along with my food order. No coffee refill was needed, since I got my drink so late.

I didn’t say anything about waiting to bring the coffee with the food. If that was the server’s assumption, then I hope she learned to ask, not assume. Even though I’ve given my drink and food order to servers at the same time, many times, I’ve never had this happen before.

I think watiressing is a hard job and I usually tip rather generously. I was not feeling too kindly disposed towards the server at the moment. Though I didn’t say anything unkind to her, her tip might have been better, had she behaved differently. But, as with the previous trek, I learned something too. In the future, if I give a server, drink and food orders at the same time, I will add, “I would like my drink now, please!”

Last stop - grocery store. Just routine, folks. Actually, I suppose the last stop was home, or at least the place where I reside.

2 comments:

  1. It sounds like a very frustrating afternoon. However, I am glad to see that you are able to get out and do those errands. I know you're not as "good" as you want to be but you are better than you were. (Of course, I am referring to the shingles!)

    ReplyDelete

"Be ca'am, be as ca'am as you can. And, if you can't be ca'am, be as ca'am as you can." Reputedly, advice from an old New Englander on staying cool, calm and collected.